Friday, January 22, 2010

Hello, World!

Welcome to my latest foodie blog the Student Epicure! I know many of you have been pining for the Sexy Spoon, but I came to the realization that I have outgrown the Spoon and it is prime time to move on. Don't worry, I promise there will still be a salacious post here and there! But the Spoon got a little too personal over time, and I feel it's best to change up the chronicling of my culinary and romantic exploits.

Those of you who are friends with my beyond the interwebs know that I love anything food-related and always relish foodie gossip. Over the years I've noticed that friends tend to divulge their food secrets to me, which often involve either their limited experience in the kitchen or the precious little time they have to cook. Also, for those of us who are mid-twenty somethings still in school or who work hard and earn little in the nonprofit world, finances can crimp our foodie style. The story of a friend who started eating Progresso soup cold from the can was so terrifying that I knew I had to take matters into my own hands.

I am a prennial student, of sorts. Post-college, I studied dance in China, came back to the homeland and returned to school to finish my premed requirements, and next fall I will be starting medical school. I've loved cooking since I was old enough to stand on a stool next to my mother at the kitchen counter learning to make polenta, pasta puttanesca, and chocolate souffle. I've never been one for very fussy recipes and really Julia Child is the only culinary icon who can convince me to peel and de-seed tomatoes. But I love to eat well, especially when I've spent a day buried under lab reports, flash cards, and MCAT prep.

I hope this blog will develop into a collection of recipes that can be cooked in 30-45 minutes on a weekday night with simple ingredients that won't break the bank. Some recipes will be original, others will be ones I have collected as an epicurean student along the way. I plan to post every Monday, fingers crossed. As always, I welcome feedback, questions, and special requests!

Looking forward to cooking together --

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment