Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tiramisu 151



Tiramisu might be one of my favorite desserts of all time. I know that's kind of cliched in our post-Sleepless in Seattle world, but still, I always order it when I'm out. What's surprising about tiramisu is how simple it is to make: store-bought lady fingers dipped in strong espresso, marscapone cheese mixed with rum, orange liqueur, and whipped cream. The flavors meld and intensify the longer it is refrigerated, so this is a perfect make-ahead dessert. You only need to use two bowls and there's booze & chocolate! Need I say more?

A couple of notes: if you don't have an electric beater, it will be tough to make the whipped cream from scratch. An alternative would be to see if you can find some homemade whipped cream at your local ice cream shop or gourmet store. I'm skeptical about what might happen with the canned stuff, but if you try that, let me know! I imagine it would be sweeter, but that might suit some palates.

I'm taking this over to my friend DC's for movie night tonight. Annie Hall + tiramisu = bliss.

Tiramisu 151
  • 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
  • 3 tablespoons Bacardi 151
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 8 ounces marscapone cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 cup strong brewed espresso, I use instant
  • 16 lady fingers
  • 6 ounces 72% dark chocolate, finely chopped
In a medium bowl, beat Grand Marnier, Bacardi, sugar, and marscapone with an electric hand-held mixer for 1 minute, until well-combined and lightened. In a separate small bowl, beat heavy cream with mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until firm peaks form. Fold into marscapone. Line a loaf pan with 8 lady fingers dipped in the espresso. Layer on top half the marscapone and then sprinkle with half the chocolate. Repeat with another layer of dipped lady fingers, marscapone, and chocolate. Cover with plastic and chill of as long as possible, ideally overnight.

2 comments:

  1. what a great dessert, it has always been my favorite....the best I ever had was in a restaurant by the Spanish Steps in Rome.
    I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your kind workds! isn't tiramisu just heaven? i can only imagine how much more blissful it would have been in roma =)

    ReplyDelete